You know you’re Portuguese when…
Cooked up on April 27, 2012 in Mouth Full
I’m Portuguese and I’m proud of my heritage! We all know the quirky, funny things we do that make us Portuguese. Let’s list them!
- You are a member of one or more Portuguese clubs.
- You play soccer and nothing else and your favorite team is either Benfica, Sporting, or Porto.
- You have too many cousins to count on both hands.
- The name Mary or Maria is either a first or middle name in the majority of your female family members or family friends.
- The name Joao, Jose, Manuel, or Antonio is either the first or middle name in the majority of your male family members or family friends.
- You’ve been woken up on Christmas morning by a large group of people outside your front door singing songs and playing instruments who won’t stop until they come in the door and you bring them drinks.
- You have grape vines in your yard and a wine barrel in your basement.
- You have religious statues in your house and yard.
- You have a rooster figure or napkin holder in your house.
- You have rosary beads in your house and in your car.
- You have crocheted doilies that your Vovo made in every room of the house.
- Your Vovo thinks you need to eat more, even after you’ve already eaten.
- Your Vovo says not to walk barefoot or else you’ll catch cold.
- You are 25 years old and still live at home with your parents.
- You are married and still live at home with your parents.
- You will marry the first boy or girl you bring home, unless they are not Portuguese.
- You can stay out as long as you want if you’re the son but must be home by 7 PM if you are the daughter.
- You have a room in your house that no one is allowed to use.
- You are tired of cutting the grass so you cement your yard.
- You go buy fresh bread at the bakery after attending mass.
- Your pet rabbit on one day becomes dinner the next day.
- You are not allowed to sleep over your friend’s house but they can sleep over yours.
- You are either from Azores, Madeira, or “O Continent”, and you make fun of each other’s accents.
- You go to various festas every year.
- You have walked in many parades.
- You earned thousands of dollars on your First Communion.
- You love carne de espeto.
- You have been threatened with a wooden spoon, broom, or belt.
- You are part of a community that comes together when someone or something is in need of help.
Did we miss one? Let us know in the comments and we’ll include it on our list! Don’t forget to share this with all your Portuguese family and friends!
And here is a funny video about stuff Portuguese people say!